NEW POWERMATIC 4224B LATHE at Woodcraft
There are wood lathes, then there is the new Powermatic® 4224B, Woodcraft Item #854112, which expands the boundaries of what a lathe can be. Tool Times, Tim “The Tool Man” Taylor (Tim Allen) would definitely grunt, “Arr Arr Arr” over this most capable, rugged, innovative lathe. “This newest member of our industry-leading line of lathes provides a tremendous range of woodturning possibilities” said Joan Duvall, Director of Product Development for Walter Meier. Powermatic is rolling out their new lathe by having nationally renown woodturner, Nick Cook demonstrate the capabilities of the 4224B lathe at some Woodcraft stores. (This demonstration schedule and more about Nick is at the end of this blog).
You name a woodturning task, and the versatile Powermatic 4224B can handle it smoothly, precisely and easily. Typical projects range from turning custom balusters, decorative table legs and large platters to handcrafting bowls, vases, pens and more.
At 950 lbs., the Powermatic 4224B is no lightweight. The lathe’s headstock, tailstock and sturdy legs are constructed of heavy-duty cast iron. Legs are equipped with 2”-diameter adjustable feet for leveling. Vibration and travel are non-issues – this beast is made to stay put.
The new lathe provides an impressive 42” working distance between centers and a 24-in swing over the bed. Its precision-ground bedway allows smooth sliding of the tail stock and tool rest. The headstock slides the full length of the bed, which facilitates outboard turning. Dual positive cam-action locking devices on the headstock ensure that it remains stable during use.
The lathe is powered by a 3HP TEFC, 3PH, 220V motor with an inverter allowing incoming power to be single phase which delivers infinitely variable speeds ranging from 40 to 3500 rpm. The control panel has a digital spindle readout that shows the exact rpm for adjustment and fine-tuning. A convenient remote on/off switch with a magnetic base can be moved anywhere on the machine.
Open access eliminates the need to remove the headstock cover to change settings. Forward and reverse rotation allows varied turning methods, and makes it easier to apply finishing touches to projects.
The lathe includes a spindle lock and a robust 14” cast iron tool rest allowing for better tool control.
- Lamp kit included
- Sliding headstock with electronic variable speed and digital RPM readout for accurate speed adjustments
- Spindle lock that is engaged by pressing a button on the front of the headstock when attaching or removing work pieces.
- Built in 98-position spindle indexing on the headstock for drilling hole patterns, routing flutes, and other equally spaced features.
- Fully Integrated Venturi Vacuum system built into headstock providing quick and simple work piece change methods.
- Four 115V electric outlets are provided to plug-in auxiliary power tools.
- Two 100W task lamps illuminate woodturning area
- Air nozzle with quick connect for clearing dust/chips
- Set of dead centers which hold a spindle for visual comparison
- Laser etched quill is self ejecting
- Two position mount for the optional bed extension
- A comparator system provides a mount for duplicated pieces designed within easy reach for measurement and visual comparison.
- Brass tipped knockout bar concentrates the action in the sliding handle; the brass tip will not damage drive centers
- Attached tool caddy allows convenient access to centers, wrenches, etc.
- Tailstock has internal storage for additional accessories
- Chrome trimmed handwheels are ergonomic for a comfortable feel
- Magnetic-backed remote on/off switch can be moved anywhere on the machine
- Cast iron legs with levelers ensure sturdy support
- 31.5”H x 27”W x 68”L
- Shipping Weight 960 lbs
- Swing Over Bed: 24″
- Swing Over Tool Rest Base: 21″
- Distance Between Centers: 42″
- Outboard Turning: 88″
- Speeds: 40-3500 RPM
- Headstock Taper: MT-2
- Spindle Nose: 1 1/4 ” x 8 TPI
- Hole Through Spindle: 5/8″
- Tailstock Taper: MT-2
- Hole Through Tailstock: 3/8″
- Ram Travel: 4-1/2″
- Centerline of Spindle to Floor: 44″
- Spindle Taper: MT-2
- Headstock Movement: full length of bed
- Indexing Positions: 98
- Bed Construction: cast iron
- Spindle Speeds: 40 – 3500
- Motor: 3HP, 220V, Prewired 220V, 3Ph
- 20″ extension bed for 4224B Lathe
- 20″ extension bed kit, Woodcraft Item #854113 provides a total capacity of 62″, a swing away function and an elevating assist
- 63″ extension bed, Woodcraft Item #854117 provides a total capacity of 105″
- Tailstock Riser Block for 4224B Lathe, Woodcraft item #854116
- Complete Lamp Kit, Woodcraft Item #854114
- Lamp for 4224B, Woodcraft Item #854115
Raleigh, NC 27612
Matthews, NC 28105
Pelham, AL 35124
Call Us: (205) 988-3600
Greenville, SC 29607
Watson Glen Plaza
Franklin, TN 37064
Join Nick Cook, Andrew Bondi (Woodcraft Power Tool Product Development Manager), Frank Byers (Woodcraft Social Media Specialist), and all the fine folks from the Charlotte store, Thursday, July 26th from 5pm-8pm or be sure to check the other Woodcraft stores for Nick’s scheduled demos’.
See you there!